News, Politics

Injured now over a hundred in Barcelona van attack

Death toll feared to rise due to severe conditions of the many injured
2 min read

At least 13 people were killed and more than a hundred injured when a white van ploughed into a crowd in central Barcelona Thursday, according to a Spanish daily.

The El Mundo newspaper quoting police sources said the police prevented another terrorist attack in Cambrils town of Tarragona, a port province in northeast Spain, hours after the attack in Barcelona.

Four terrorists were killed and four others injured during that police operation that also left several civilians injured.

Another terrorist succumbed to his wounds hours later.

Before the police operation, the terrorists ran over an indeterminate number of civilians, leaving six wounded, two serious.

The El Mundo said, two people, including a man named Driss Oukabir had been arrested in connection with the attack.  According to his social media profile he is originally from Marseille, France, and resides in Ripoll, Spain. He allegedly rented the van.

Another daily, the El Pais newspaper said Daesh had claimed responsibility for the crash through its media outlet called AMAQ.

Earlier, the paper cited police sources who confirmed it was a terrorist attack.

Radio Television Espanola said on Twitter that police negotiated with the suspects in a Barcelona bar following the attack.

At the time of the attack, Las Ramblas, a popular street in central Barcelona, with both tourists and locals, was crowded with people.

Could the US Save the Raqqa Operation Through Intense Airstrikes?

Turkish president offers condolences post terror attack

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan offered condolences to the Spanish King on Thursday following a terror attack in Spain’s Barcelona that left over a dozen people killed.

“I strongly condemn the attack that showed the brutal face of terrorism once again and targeted the shared values of the whole humanity not just Spain,” he said.

On Thursday evening, 13 people, died and over 100 were injured when a white van ploughed into a crowd in central Barcelona . Erdogan conveyed words of sympathy to the Spanish people and wished a speedy recovery to those injured.

The Turkish President sent a condolence letter to the Spanish King Felipe VI, according to a confidential presidential source.

According to Spanish media, Daesh claimed responsibility for the attack that involved a van ploughing into people at Las Ramblas, a street in central Barcelona popular with both tourists and locals.

Source: Anadolu Agency

Related Articles

mm
The New Turkey is a news-analysis portal dedicated to cover the issues on the agenda of Turkey and the world. The New Turkey covers a wide range of topics including domestic, regional and global politics, economy and intellectual currents.