Kurdistan Communities Union releases statement saying ceasefire with Turkish government ended.
The Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK) issued a statement on Saturday saying that the truce which was reached with the Turkish government at the end of 2012 has ended, threatening Turkey with attacks.
The KCK is an umbrella organisation which brings all members and activities of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) together.
Stating that it has been two and a half years after the disarmament call was made by imprisoned PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan in 2013, the leadership of the KCK said, “The Turkish government had failed to comply articles of the agreement which would lead to continuous armed conflicts.”
A peace process was initiated in 2012 by the governing Justice and Development Party (AK Party) to resolve a 30-year-old armed conflict between the PKK and the Turkish government, which claimed the lives of more than 40,000 people and injured thousands more mainly in the country’s southeastern provinces.
The PKK is listed as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the US and the EU.
“Instead of making democratic steps for political solution, the Turkish government used the period of truce to make serious preparations for having advantageous position in the new war by building guard posts, roads for military purposes and dams for a cultural genocide,” the KCK statement continued.
Referring to the recent arrests of PKK members by anti-terror operations, the statement also said “each arrest will be returned by guerrilla retaliation.”
Turkish police raided many locations in Istanbul, arresting 32 suspected PKK members last week while many explosives and guns were impounded.
Meanwhile, PKK militants intensified attacks in Turkey’s eastern provinces.
In Turkey’s northeastern province of Ardahan, a group of municipal workers were attacked and beaten by militants as they tried to fix a water cut.
The militants who had created the water cut prevented workers from fixing it and burned the municipality car being used by the workers.
In a similar incident, a group of militants intercepted three trailer trucks and burned them by the roadside in the eastern Agri province.
Moreover, a group of people who claimed to be members of the Patriotic Revolutionist Youth Movement (YDG-H) held an unpermitted protest in the southern province of Mardin on Friday night, throwing bombs and molotov cocktails at the police.
The statement also emphasised that the vehicles used in the construction of dams will be targeted by the KCK’s attacks. Therefore, it said all of the contractors and workers undertaking the construction of dam must immediately leave the field.
A bomb attack was carried out on June 30 by the outlawed PKK on a military vehicle providing security for the Silvan Dam construction in Silvan, a district in Turkey’s southeast.
Diyarbakir’s governor issued a statement after the attack saying that there were no lives lost while minor damages were seen on the armored vehicle. The statement also said that security measures were immediately taken.
Built as a part of the Southeastern Anatolia Project (GAP), the Silvan Dam will become the second biggest irrigation dam after the Ataturk Dam located on the Euphrates River in Turkey’s southeast.
With the completion of the project, 2.35 million hectares of agricultural land will be irrigated and approximately 318,000 job opportunities will be provided.
Resource: TRT World, July 12, 2015